Tuesday, August 26

My latest project

Peanut and I are taking a trip from Illinois to Baltimore / Virginia this weekend. I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy her a seat. What was I thinking!? Flying solo (Mister's staying here) with a toddler on my lap? Who will want to nurse at every opportunity since the proximity will remind her constantly... Note to self. Spend the money next time! Of course, I'll have to since we have no plans to fly again before her 2nd birthday, but still!

I was envisioning this trip last week and realized that my diaper bag, as much as I love it, was not big enough to contain snacks for two flights, books, a dvd player, changes of clothes for both of us, sippy cup, enough toys to distract her, etc... So I made a new one. This was my first bag, and definitely a challenge for me. I'm usually a curtain sewer, with the occasional venture into baby clothes.

I learned a lot of new things in the process: fusible fleece is awesome, magnetic snaps are easy to install and look cool, bias tape isn't that intimidating as long as you have the proper width for your project, and a heck of a lot about why my threads were looping. It didn't usually mean that I needed to adjust my tension, it meant that I threaded my machine with the presser foot down! How did I not know that you weren't supposed to do that? So I really got past something that had been bugging me during my last few projects. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

It has oodles of pockets - one for:

  • sippy cup (outside)
  • cell phone (outside)
  • travel placemat
  • wallet
  • medicine (velcroed)
  • binkies (velcroed)
  • diapers
  • diaper changing kit
  • sunscreen / bug spray
  • and a key fob!
Want to see pictures? There's a little handsewing that needs to be done, but that will happen on the couch next to Mister tonight as we watch a silly movie. Sounds like a dream evening to me! I've had a sinus infection for (let me count) thirteen days now and it's finally starting to recede, just in time to fly. So a silly movie and my Mister sound good to me!

Hmm. Blogger isn't letting me upload the pictures. I'll try again later!